Friday, April 23, 2010

FBook Privacy

Just when I thought I had my Facebook privacy settings set so the rest of the world couldn't get any glimpse into my private life, I find out that as of today, Facebook has implemented a new program allowing some of the pages I visit to pull info from my Facebook page in order to create a personalized experience on whatever site I happen to be on. What? Whoa Nellie, I don't need companies knowing information that I'm not even aware I'm giving them, in order to tailor my web experience with them. I posted the following message on my Facebook page, and you may want to as well, as I wasn't aware of this new feature until I received the post on my own page. For more information, here's an ABC article on the new facebook "Open Graph" policy by Blake Sabatinelli which helps to explain how to turn off the feature (as I have also explained below).

Copy and Post this to your Facebook page if you don't want to give websites access to your Facebook information:

As of today, there is a new privacy setting called "Instant Personalization" that shares data with non-facebook websites and it is automatically set to "Allow." Go to Account > Privacy Settings > Applications and Websites> Click "Edit" on the right on Instant Personalization and uncheck "Allow". Please copy & repost!

No comments:

Post a Comment